May, 16, 2019
Cytonome is a biotechnology instrument design company that develops cell sorting and purification solutions for the cell therapy, life science and industrial agriculture markets. We apply a diverse range of technical expertise to design, manufacture and support our products from our office in Bedford, MA. We aim to maintain a fun work environment where people who are passionate about technology can focus on challenging problems and create opportunities for personal and professional growth. A high level of importance is placed on maintaining a casual and inclusive office setting with a sustainable work/life balance.
The Applications Scientist will be an integral part of our product development process by contributing scientific scrutiny, experimental support and creative solutions. The Applications Scientist will operate in an applied science environment surrounded by complex, multi-disciplinary technologies and gain exposure to demands from three diverse markets. The position is a good fit a recent Ph.D. program graduate determined to transition from academia to industry.
A Successful Candidate Will:
- Have a strong innate curiosity and be eager to work on interdisciplinary projects outside their primary area of expertise.
- Enjoy digging into and solving problems.
- Effectively use the biological lab as a tool to investigate and solve real world problems.
- Become a trusted and respected scientific voice within the organization.
- Independently seek expertise when encountering new subject matter.
Key Responsibilities, Tasks and Deliverables
- Design and execute scientific studies independently and in collaboration with R&D Engineering to improve system performance and robustness.
- Document, distill and present experimental methods and results.
- Support and refine existing data analysis tools and methods to monitor system performance at customer sites.
- Provide advanced troubleshooting and technical support for field installed systems.
- Manage day to day operations in the biology lab.
- Participate in the generation of internal and customer facing scientific content (e.g. tech notes, white papers, etc.).
Click Here to Apply
- PhD. in a biological science (would consider a candidate with an M.S. and industry experience).
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute scientific experiments and to communicate the rationale and results of those experiments to multiple audiences.
- Technical competence in basic wet lab practices and have experience with mammalian cell culture and handling primary human cells.
- Experience with flow cytometry and microfluidics desired.
- Experience with handling and processing large data sets with Excel, Python, etc. desired.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time and effectively transition between bench and desk work.
- Demonstrated success working in cross-functional teams, preferably with engineers.
- Ability to convey core biological concepts to non-biological technical experts.
- Comfortable working with ambiguity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are critical.
- Strong problem solving, and interpersonal skills are critical.
- Occasional domestic and international travel may be required.